19 June, 2009

The Never Ending Connection

Our lives are enhanced by our relationships with animals. People tell me frequently that their animal companions mean more to them than their human friends and family. Who else loves and comforts us on a daily basis, giving unconditionally? Our animal companions do not always have the same life expectancy that we do and their passing often leaves their human counterpart dazed, heartbroken and feeling unsupported.

The passing of my favorite cat Indy in the summer of 2006 left me devastated for months. It felt like the color had left my world and that I would never find that connection again! I felt no one understood that he was much more to me than “just a pet”. My husband suggested, “I talk to someone” after 3 months of hard grieving. I had not yet begun my spiritual journey and did not yet understand my abilities and sensitivities. I had no understanding other than my boy was gone and I felt alone in my grief. I now know that our connection to our animal companions is never ending; it just takes on a new form. The feel of the physical body is gone from my lap, but the presence of his love and support is still available through spirit communication, intuitive knowing and prayer.

What do you do when you have lost a beloved friend? I can talk to my animals that have passed, yet it does not circumvent the grieving process. It did help with the passing of my girl Nala in December of 2008, as I knew our connection would not be severed. My grieving process was a much more gentle, positive and loving release. This too can be your next experience if you choose to learn to communicate with your animal companions. Classes to learn how to communicate with your animal companions are readily available and there are many excellent communicators teaching these classes.

In the Seattle/Tacoma area the Humane Society offers a weekly Pet Loss Support group. Trained facilitators are in place to help you work through the grief process in a nonjudgmental environment with others who have suffered a similar loss. The group supports any age range from children to seniors. You can find help with issues related to animal loss, from stolen pets to end of life decisions, remaining grief and when to get your next friend. The group is free of charge and you may return for as many sessions as you need. This program has been in place since 1994.
The web is a wonderful tool to find support as well. I spent just a few minutes and found two great web sites dedicated to animal loss. The Pet Loss Support Page is a large site with a lot to offer. There are many articles from Quality of Life to Final Farewell by Moira Allen. M.Ed. Listings for support groups and counselors for the US and worldwide.

The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement Website has professionally trained volunteers in pet bereavement counseling, The APLB is a non-profit organization offers their services for free to any one grieving a beloved pet. The large site offers a newsletter, chat room, articles and web cards, and much more.

Volunteering is an excellent way to step away from your grief for a while and move towards wholeness again. Helping others reminds you that there is a world worth living out there. Shelters, rescue groups and food banks are in desperate need of resources. My local shelter is always in need of blankets and towels, toys and volunteers to cuddle the new residences. Cuddling a kitty at a shelter reduces stress, promotes healing and changes two lives. I am always amazed at the grace of the animals that are waiting for their next person to love.
Honor the connection, love and learning you shared with your companion by having a celebration of his/her life.
Two of my clients gathered their friends to honor their companion Mahi the cat. His mission was to teach us how to live in the moment. Cancer changed his destiny and opened his heart to true spiritual mastery. He lived every moment with grace and dignity, teaching that it is a pleasure to be present and relishing each moment. A poem written in his honor was read, candles where lit and everyone got a chance to tell their favorite Mahi story. They found a way to honor and bless their connection while celebrating the passing of their beloved companion.

A friend was devastated by the loss of her girl Sadie. She felt alone and that no one understood the grief she was feeling. Rita decided to honor her feelings for Sadie and help others feeling the same loss by writing a book. Sadie’s Heart is a collection of stories about cat loss. Rita’s loss will give strength, comfort and understanding to those in their time of greatest need.
There are an infinite number of ways to honor your companion. I encourage you to find a way that works for you.

I am also available to assist you. I offer a free fifteen-minute “Connecting you to the Light “ session. It includes a check to insure your “baby” goes into God’s Light and a short-guided mediation for you to move towards peace. When you are ready, I also offer “Rain Bow Bridge “ consultations to reconnect you with your beloved companion. Please do not forget about yourself, I work with humans to create new outcomes and find emotional peace.

Penelope